Get the Skills to Be a Medical Assistant
53 Week* Medical Assisting Training Program in Crystal Lake & Libertyville, Illinois
You are ready to use your natural helping and healing nature in a fantastic career! Choosing Medical Assisting shows you are not only very compassionate, but also that you are career-minded, looking for ways to advance, improve and succeed.
Come in and learn about the medical field and see how to get established in a rewarding, professional career (without spending years in school). You could have a bright future in Medical Assisting!
Already working? No problem! First Institute has both daytime and night time programs available. Daytime class hours are 2 days a week (Mon/Wed or Tue/Thurs) from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM and the night time schedule is 4 nights a week (Mon through Thurs) from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM.
Becoming a Qualified Medical Assistant
The Medical Assisting Program at First Institute, taught at both our Crystal Lake and Libertyville campuses, provides the hands-on training, practical experience and industry support it takes to pursue a rewarding healthcare career.
Our program includes a 160 clock hour (10-week) externship in a medical office setting, working with real patients and getting to know health care providers in the community.
You’ll gain both the administrative and clinical skills to move smoothly into a medical assisting position. Our instructors are experienced medical professionals who know just what employers are looking for.
Next Program Start Dates
- Jul 30thMedical Assisting Program: Night Class First Institute (Libertyville)
- Jul 30thMedical Assisting Program: Night Class First Institute (Crystal Lake)
- Aug 20thMedical Assisting Program: Mon/Wed First Institute (Crystal Lake)
- Aug 28thMedical Assisting Program: Tues/Thurs First Institute (Libertyville)
- Sep 25thMedical Assisting Program: Tues/Thurs First Institute (Crystal Lake)
- Oct 8thMedical Assisting Program: Night Class First Institute (Libertyville)
Graduates of this program may pursue a variety of entry-level medical assisting positions, including:
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
- Administrative Medical Assistant
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Insurance Billing
- Medical Records Specialist
The Skills You Will Learn Include:
- Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Billing and Coding and Health Records Management
- Medical Insurance claims utilizing CPT-4 & ICD-9 codebooks
- Medical Law & Ethics
- Preparing and instructing for clinical Procedures
- Medical Office Administration and Communications
- Lab Procedures including EKG, Phlebotomy, urinalysis & other diagnostic testing
- Medical Assisting procedures in minor surgeries, pediatrics, OB examinations, imaging and radiology
- And much more!
You’ll feel confident entering the medical assisting field after gaining both theoretical classroom knowledge, and practical experience. There are so many opportunities for your externship in
- lab settings
- medical offices
- clinic settings
Medical Assistant Certifications
This program prepares students to pursue all three of the following healthcare certification exams to further set you apart from the crowd and increase your potential employment opportunities:
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)
- Certified Electrocardiogram Technician (CET)
Industry certifications are offered through the National Healthcareer Association. Graduates are also eligible to sit for the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) certification thru the American Medical Technologist (AMT).
One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. For once in my life, I enjoy coming to school!
Funding Your Education
Many students require financial assistance to achieve their academic goals. At First Institute, Financial Aid is available to those that qualify. An experienced First Institute Financial Aid Advisor will help determine your eligibility, explore the best options for you and support you every step of the way through the application process.
Also, our programs qualify for a variety of military training assistance options, including GI Bill, MyCAA, REAP, DEA. Check out our Military Education Benefits page to learn more.
Are You Career Training Ready? Find Out! Take the First Institute “Career Training Readiness Quiz”
The fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now.
Make a Difference
Medical assistants can work for nearly any health care provider, including private practices, clinics and hospitals large and small. Doctors, nurses and patients all depend upon professional medical assistants.
Get the Support You Need to Launch a Successful Career
Medical Assisting training isn’t about getting a certificate to hang on the wall – it’s about training for a rewarding career you care about. First Institute is dedicated to supporting you throughout your career.
While First Institute cannot guarantee job placement, our Career Services Department maintains contact with prospective employers throughout Illinois, and advises them of talented students’ abilities and availability. Career services can help you:
- Create a cover letter and resume
- Develop your interview skills
- Assist you through the job search process
Is a Rewarding Career in Medical Assisting Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about careers in Medical Assisting and exploring whether this is the right career path for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.
A helpful First Institute Admissions Representative would be happy to answer any questions you have and can help with everything from scheduling to financial aid.
For immediate questions, call 815-459-3500.
* Program length when completed in normal time.